Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Tata passes away

On Saturday November 21st, my Tata passed away. He had been sick for quite some time and we knew it was coming soon. However, when I first got the news, it was so shocking. All I could do was sit in shock and cry. I waited a few hours to see if I would hear from my Dad because I knew once he heard he would be calling me. When the call did not come, I knew I had to call him. Ughh! He was of course very upset! He had not heard the voicemail from our family so I was the one that had to tell him. Once the funeral arrangements were made, we were told the viewing and rosary would be on Sunday after Thanksgiving, and the funeral would be on Monday. We also needed to have a family meeting on Friday to go over Tata's belongings, etc. So, Friday Bella and I drove to Tucson to be with My dad, sister, Rhonda, and my 6 aunts and uncles, and over 25 cousins! It was nice to have everyone together. Me, Cas, and Bella drove home that night. On Sunday we returned for the viewing and Rosary. My Dad had written some words that he wanted read, however he knew he could not read them himself. I was an emotional roller coaster so we figured our best bet was to have Cassy read. She and I went up there together and she read it. She did a great job, and what great words my Dad wrote for his Father. 2 of my cousins also had great words to share. There was not a dry eye in the place.
Monday was the church Mass and the burial. At the burial, the National Guard from Fort Huachuca presented a flag for my Aunt and did a very nice and heart warming tribute to my Grandfather. All the children and Grandchildren threw in a rose with his casket. It was a very sad end to a very sad few days.
Tata gave everyone in the family a nickname. Some were funny, some were cute, mean, etc. It was my most favorite thing about him. He would meet you and in a matter of minutes, he would have a clever name for you. My nickname was "Annie Oakley" because as a young child, I wore red cowboy boots all the time. Cassy's was "Maria" because she reminded him of his Mom and that was her name. Eric's was "Daddy Long legs", of course because he is so tall. He got to meet Bella in his last few months alive, and she was doing her dance that she does when she gets excited. So, in turn he named Bella "Matachines". I had no idea what the heck they were, but my Dad told me they are Mexicans who dress in Indian costumes and dance to celebrate some Catholic celebrations. I'm so glad that before he passed, he not only got to meet Isabella, but also got to give her a nickname :) I am proud to have had a Grandfather who not only served in the Military, but also to have served in World War II. Because of his great pride in being in the military, all of his 4 sons (including my Dad), and 3 cousins served in different branches of the military as well. Tata will be greatly missed and we love him very much.
This is his Obituary......
Joe J. Valencia November 15, 1920 - November 21, 2009 Passed away peacefully at home, reuniting with his beloved wife, Dolores L. Valencia. He is survived by his seven children, Alicia Barreda (Richard), Richard (Rosia), Leonard (Becky), Frances, Michael (Rhonda), Oscar (Rachel) and Cristina. Also survived by 16 grandchildren, 15 great- grandchildren and sister, Ramona Garcia. Joe was a lifelong Tucsonan, retiring from the City of Tucson after 31 years, and a proud veteran who served in the US Army during World War II. His renowned talent to nickname everyone, especially family will be greatly missed. As he would say, "I love you MUCHO!"

No comments: