Saturday, June 12, 2010

38 week appointment

Yesterday was my 38 week check up. Eric and Bella decided to join me. It ended up being a 2.5 hour appointment! My blood pressure was a little elevated at 128/86, normal is 120/80. However, I had no protein in my urine so that's good, as that is a sign of pre eclampsia. Next the Dr. wanted to listen to his heart. As usual, as soon as they put the doppler on, he goes crazy wild and his heart rate shoots from the 150's to the 170-180's! The Dr was trying to get him to settle down, as she wanted to make sure that he was just reacting to being bothered and not that his heart rate is just super fast. She couldn't get him to settle down so she wanted to put me on a heart monitor. She asked that I drink several cups of water, as dehydration could also bring up his heart rate. After doing that, she hooked me up and he was perfectly still. He was sleeping!! She needed him to be awake so that she could get a baseline heartrate while he was awake since everyone's heart rate is slower while sleeping. After half an hour, he was still sleeping, I drank juice and tried to stir him up but he was sleepy :) Finally after a hour, he had made some movements and the Dr. was happy with the results. His fast heart rate was due to the doppler being pushed on him. I tried explaining to her that he is just very very active and that every ultrasound that Ive had he is moving around crazy and his heart rate always fluctuates according to his movements. However, the Dr. wanted to make sure. Before I left, they checked my pressure again and it was perfect.
I was also dialated 3 cm and 60 % effaced. The Dr. also stripped my membranes to hopefully move the labor along as he is getting so big. She told me if I wanted to, she would induce me at 39 weeks, which is next Saturday. I'm hoping he of course comes out on his own.
Eric and I are finally coming to the realization that we will have a new baby in the house very soon! In a week or less.. ahhhh! HOwever, I am super excited to not be pregnant anymore and get him home :) Updates to come soon.....

No comments: